As temperatures start to decline, Catholic Charities is helping our most vulnerable neighbors by collecting new and “gently used” blankets and other bedding, coats, hats, and gloves at each of its office locations through January during our “Warm Up Winter” campaign.
Richelle Vible, Executive Director, asks people to be generous. “Please share God’s love during this holiday season with those who seek life’s basic necessities, like warm bedding and clothing. With your support, Catholic Charities will continue working to meet the most basic needs of our neighbors who continue to struggle in today’s difficult economy.”
Mrs. Vible also encouraged civic groups, churches, and community-minded neighbors to conduct their own Warm Up Winter Drive. “We are happy to assist any group that wants to help us meet our neighbors’ needs during the cold weather. Contact the Catholic Charities office nearest you, and we will make arrangements to distribute your donations.”
Catholic Charities will distribute donated goods through various programs, such as its food distribution programs at Bayard House in Wilmington, Casa San Francisco in Milton, and Seton Center in Princess Anne; its diocese-wide Basic Needs program; and its food program for children in licensed day cares.
All donated blankets and bedding, coats, and other clothing items should be clean, in good condition, and ready to use. Keep in mind that Catholic Charities staff cannot clean, mend, or repair items, and merchandise not fit for distribution must be discarded at Catholic Charities expense.
Donors can bring their coats and blankets to any of the following Catholic Charities locations and receive a tax deduction receipt:
- Main Office, 2601 W 4th Street, Wilmington 19805, 302-655-9624
- Bayard House, 300 Bayard Avenue, Wilmington 19805, 302-654-1184
- Thrift Store, 1320 E. 23rd Street, Wilmington 19802, 302-764-2717
- Marydale Retirement Village, 135 Jeandell Drive, Newark 19713, 302-368-2784
- Kent County Office, 2099 S DuPont Highway, Dover 19901, 302-674-1600
- Sussex County Office, 406 S. Bedford Avenue, Suite 9, Georgetown 19947, 302-856-9578
- Casa San Francisco, 127 Broad Street, Milford 19968, 302-684-8694
- Seton Center, 30632 Hampden Avenue, Princess Anne 21853, 410-651-9608
Staff at all locations will accept donations between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. In addition, the Wilmington Thrift Center accepts donations on Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., but will be closed on Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas weekend, and New Year’s weekend.
The Wilmington and Seton Center Thrift Centers also accept other clothing donations and car donations, and the Wilmington Thrift Center accepts furniture, appliance, and mattress donations.