Domestic Violence Intervention & Anger Management Counseling
How Catholic Charities Helps
Catholic Charities' Domestic Violence Perpetrator Intervention Program focuses on offenders to make them accountable for their unacceptable behavior and teach them effective ways of handling an intimate relationship. Working with offenders, the program helps prevent or reduce repeat offenses and provides safety for the victims of domestic violence (most often women and children).
The program is certified by The Delaware Domestic Violence Coordinating Council and meets the Council's intervention protocols. The program has helped over 1,500 abusers and their victims since its establishment in 1995.
Clients can also take advantage of other needed services available through Catholic Charities, like mental health and/or substance abuse counseling, support groups for separated and divorced persons, marriage counseling, and emergency intervention providing financial assistance for rent, mortgage and utilities, and emergency food distributions.
Payment of program fees is one way for the participant to take responsibility for his or her behavior. Although payment is required, those unable to pay the full program fee can ask for, and receive, a sliding scale payment that is manageable within their financial situation.
Catholic Charities' Domestic Violence Intervention Program collaborates with the following community service providers:
- Child Inc.
- Delaware Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Delaware Division of Family Services (Child Protective Services): Catholic Charities maintains a close working relationship with DFS staff to help ensure safety of children
- Delaware Domestic Violence Coordinating Council (DDVCC) - Catholic Charities' Program participates in the Council's credentialing process and is a member of its Treatment subcommittee
- Family Court, Court of Common Pleas, and Superior Court, State of Delaware
- Probation and Parole: Catholic Charities maintains a close working relationship with probation officers to ensure that abusers stay in treatment thereby providing protection for victims
- Peoples Place, Inc.
Almost 95% of our Catholic Charities' domestic violence clients are referred by the court, because of a court-ordered protection from abuse or because of a finding of criminal intimate partner abuse behavior. The remaining 5% are self-referred.
How To Get Help
To get information on the program, or to enroll in a group, please call Catholic Charities’ Main Office at 302-655-9624.
Click here to send an email for more information.
How You Can Help
Click here to donate to Domestic Violence Intervention using a credit card. You may also send a check to Catholic Charities, 2601 W 4th Street, Wilmington, DE 19805, and designate Domestic Violence Intervention on the check memo line.
Click here to join our newsletter mailing list to keep in touch with all of Catholic Charities programs.